When I was in high school, I was quite fit. I was on the cross country team and I weighed around 130 pounds. As soon as I turned 18, I got a job as a software developer at a company called Powercode.

Over the time I worked at Powercode (3 years), I gained around 55 pounds! Recently, I decided to start working out.

This started with me saying “I’ve been thinking about going to the gym” after hearing about my friend going to the same gym I’ve had a membership to (but haven’t gone to in awhile).

He kept bugging me after that day to work out with him. I finally bit the bullet and went with him to the gym (Planet Fitness).

Day 1: Chest, Biceps, and Triceps

This is the first day my friend and I worked out. We started with cardio. I did 1 mile on the treadmill (took 11-12 minutes), plus a 3 minute cooldown. This was pretty hard for me, having not worked out very much for awhile.

After we finished cardio, we moved on to the lifts. A lot of them were pretty challenging. He likes to hit each muscle 3 times.

Being the first time I had lifted in quite awhile, this workout kicked my butt. I ended up crashing at his place so we could play some games (Rocket League, League of Legends) and also work out the next day.

Day 2: Shoulders and Back

When I woke up, I was quite surprisingly not sore. Since my friend had to work, we skipped the cardio and went straight to lifting.

Today, it seemed the lifts were mostly easier. When we finally called it a day, I actually felt like “That’s all?”.

Later in the day, I started to feel the soreness from before.

I thought I wasn’t going to be able to sleep, so I went to the gym to run for a bit (bad idea, kept me up until 2!). After warming up, I ran a modified Fartlek, by doing 1 minute at 6.5 MPH, 1 minute at 4.5, 1:30, 1:30, then 1:00, 1:00 again, then cooldown. We did a much more intense version of this in cross country.

Day 3: Legs and Abs

When I woke up, my whole upper body was pretty sore.

This is the first day I didn’t go with my friend, but my dad came along.

This is the first time I used additional supplements (other than just protein). For pre-workout, I used creatine and C4, during BCAA’s, and after I drink protein.

We started with 30 minutes (total) of cardio. I did around 15 minutes of the bike since my dad prefers bike over all other cardio, then I switched to treadmill and did another modified Fartlek.

During the cardio and early lifting, my stomach started to hurt from all the supplements (later found out, I need to drink a lot more water with them).

After that, we started with legs. Pretty much all to be expected.

After legs, we switched to abs. We were going to do a workout that I used to do in cross country (called “8 minute abs”, maybe I’ll do a blog post on them later!”), but we couldn’t find a place to lay down mats and go, so we used the “12 minute ab circuit” planet fitness offers. It was challenging to get a true workout in because a lot of the machines were simply too challenging to use whilst we were still weak, but we got a good enough workout in.

We went for a bagel at Panera around 10 or 11.

Around 12-2, after I got home, I felt TERRIBLE, kind of like a caffeine overdose. After drinking 2 liters of water, I felt better. I’m pretty sure it’s from the additional supplements.

Day 4: Chest, Biceps, and Triceps (Round 2)

I woke up and my entire body was sore. Today, I tried something new in order to prevent the issues I had on day 3 with the supplements. I drank creatine, then I ate a breakfast (4 eggs and 2 pieces of toast), then I waited awhile before drinking C4. I also drank a liter of water during/after cardio before switching to BCAA’s. This was definitely successful at curbing the sick feelings I had.

I did 15 minutes of Fartlek style running (but a little faster on the “break” phase) because it passes the time faster.

I didn’t do exactly the same lifts as Day 1, but close. It went overall well. I actually started to crave MORE workout. It felt very good.

At the time of writing this, my chest, biceps, and triceps feel less sore than this morning.


So far, so good. I’m assuming the worst day will be day 14, but we’ll see! I’m hoping to keep updating this blog to hold myself accountable.